YouTube is the new TV
With more and more fantastic content being uploaded to YouTube literally every second there is no doubt that the conventional TV audience is shrinking. On demand media is now the norm in our everyday lives and regular cable and satellite is just not cutting it. So consumers are cutting the cord. With connected TVs that have Netflix built in your television is now a portal of content with no end in sight.
Just take a look at these astounding YouTube statistics:
- Total number of people who use YouTube – 1,300,000,000
- 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute!
- Almost 5 billion videos are watched on Youtube every single day.
- The total number of hours of video watched on YouTube each month – 900 million.
- 10,113 Youtube videos generated over 1 billion views.
- 80% of YouTube’s views are from outside of the U.S.
- The average number of mobile YouTube video views per day is 1,000,000,000
People are making a living just by filming YouTube videos. I personally like to watch Casey Niestats vlog every day during my lunch. My girlfriend watches and makes lifestyle and makeup videos in her spare time. All of these online personalities are cashing in on endorsements and paid vacations around the world. Not to mention some great advertising money that keeps the uploads flowing.
This phenomenon is not new and has been growing like wild fire for years, but with the launch of YouTube Red and TV and Movie streaming services a whole new generation of TV consumers has been programed to hate commercials and choose what they are going to watch instantly.
So in this new digital age grabbing consumer attention is getting harder and harder and requiring a more surgical approach that requires great effort and creativity. Product placement is key for young consumers and cannot be over obvious. Be subtle and give them the product or service they want and need that will provide them with a unique style and voice they have been looking for. All of this streamed over the web with ones and zeros from YouTube to the consumers hand in the blink of an eye.